Friday, October 23, 2009

Scarves, Scarves, and More Scarves

As many of you may have noticed, I'm currently bald. Because of this, I've been getting TONS of scarves as gifts and have amassed quite an impressive collection. I was never much of a scarf wearer, and even now I don't wear them on my head. However, after LOTS and LOTS of practice, I've finally started to be able to wear my scarves in a casual way that doesn't look too stupid (at least I hope not!)

In lieu of an outfit post today (because it was rainy and I never got around to taking a picture of what I was wearing) I decided that I wanted to showcase a few of my favorite scarves. I'd say I have about 50 in all shapes, sizes, and materials, and lots of them are extremely beautiful and handmade.

This scarf is one of my oldest and most favorite - it came in a box with the Barbie 35th Anniversary Fossil watch that my grandma gave me when I was a little girl (too little for such a fancy scarf & watch, so I'm glad my mom held on to them for me for a LONG time). It's an amazing accent piece for black dresses (I actually wore it today with a red dress, but I prefer the pop it has against black) and it's a great conversation piece. Unlike some of my other scarves, though, I never pin it - I'm too afraid of ruining the silk!

(Winnie likes Barbie, too...)

This is another favorite, purchased from a flea market when I visited Paris with friends in high school. It's got some AMAZING fringe as well - beaded with the little rosettes just dripping off the ends of the scarf. I bought my mom a matching one in lavender, and usually we just use them for decoration because they're so delicate, but I'm thinking I might need to actually wear it sometime soon...

This scarf came from Paris as well - courtesy of my little brother, who picked it up at the market at Mont Martre - he knows how I have a weakness for sequins & shimmer, and this scarf fit the bill. The best part about it is that it's SO huge that usually when I wear it, I fold it into a skirt and keep it in place with some vintage flower pins. It's a little hard to walk in (and get out of in the bathroom) but it's totally worth it because it's completely unique.

Winnie gets in on the action trying to steal my gold sequin scarf...

Finally, William and I had sushi at one of my favorite sushi restaurants yesterday, and he got the famous "Pizza Plate." We're unsure of why the restaurant serves on this plate (because it's a Japanese restaurant and most definitely does not serve pizza) but one of us will get it occasionally and we always get a little bit of amusement out of its incongruity...

3 comments:

  1. absolutely love your blog! you have such an amazing sense of style and exude confidence and grace. very inspiring :)

    p.s. i envy your scarf collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE the scarf your brother gave you from Paris... the colors, the sequins! Whats not to love?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh, I love both of the scarves from Paris! Seeing those sushi rolls is making me hungry. We haven't been out for sushi in months now because of this whole swine flu thing. I would love a California roll =)

    xoxo

    www.FashionSnag.com

    ReplyDelete